Fight for the Internet 1!

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

KMix Lockups, Freezes, and Performance

Recently I experienced serious problems with using KDE's audio system, which I eventually tracked to the program 'kmix.' The symptoms were extremely slow response on volume-changes and mutes. By slow, I mean taking a full minute or more to apply. Also, it was taking up 100% of the CPU sometimes for minutes at a time (when it was not responding). Thank goodness I have a quad-core.

I am not sure if the problem is the result of using KDE 4.6.0 or not, since it is very recent and it might have introduced some bugs.

Regardless, I eventually figured a solution to the problem: Quit kmix. You may need to actually kill the program. Next move (or delete or rename) the folder 'kmix' in the folder '~/.kde/share/apps/. Restart kmix, and it will recreate a default '~/.kde/share/apps/kmix/' folder with default settings.

This fixed my problem. Hopefully it will help with yours.

3 comments:

  1. cheers,

    This was an annoyance that I was just ignoring...worked a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was experiencing the same issues and this did really solve it, thanks for sharing this piece of magic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same problem, same solution.

    Thanks for your help, how to repair slow kmix response.

    ReplyDelete