Recently I encountered an old error in Pidgin, and here is my solution to it. While visiting a network at a local college, my Google IM account throws this error in Pidgin:
Lost connection with server: Connection reset by peerHere is how to fix this.
- From within the main Pidgin window, select the menu "Accounts"-> "Manage Acconts"
- Select the Google IM account in question. Click the "Modify..." button.
- Check the option: Force old (port 5223) SSL
- Uncheck the option: Allow plaintext auth over unencrypted streams
- Set Connect Port: 443
- Set Connect Server: talk.google.com
- Click the "Save" button and re-connect with your account.
If you get a message asking you to accept a certificate, you have probably forgot to add the Connect Server address.